The annual Members’ Meeting is a highlight of the ABC calendar. Since their inception in 2011, the meetings have entertained and informed a geographically wide-ranging membership with a selection of talks and discussions.
Every three years our Members’ Meeting takes the form of the Triennial General Meeting, at which Association business is resolved accompanied by a few talks.
2019 TGM, date and location TBA
2016 TGM, Banbury Oxfordshire
2015 Historic Counties Convention (24 October 2015) which was held in York.
2014 Historic Counties Convention (25 October 2014)
- Peter Aylmer – Influx and uprising: the other side of Essex
- Matthew Engel – discussed his new book: Engel’s England
- Graham Bartram – Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute – County Flags
- Edward Keene – The counties and diocesan boundaries
2013 Triennial General Meeting
In 2013, Members were invited to join us for the 2013 Triennial General Meeting on 12 October 2013 in Banbury.
2012 talks and discussions:
- John Nicholls – Milemarkers of the Essex Turnpike Trustshttp://www.milestonesociety.co.uk/
- Andy Strangeway – County Top Challengehttp://andystrangeway.wordpress.com/county-tops/
- Michael Garber – ABC Website http://www.abcounties.co.uk/
- Philip Tibbetts MA – Origins of the Scottish Counties
- Jason Saber – County Flags
2011 talks and discussions
- Yorkshire Extreme Points Challenge – Andy Strangeway (UK Adventurer – www.island-man.co.uk)
- Warwickshire Myths and Legends – Peter Boyce (ABC Chairman)
- County Identity and its Relation to National Identity – Philip Tibbetts MA
- Marking the Lancashire / Yorkshire Border – (Yorkshire Ridings Society / Friends of Real Lancs)
- The Pilgrimage of Grace and its Effect on the Northern Counties – Colin Foster
- “Countywise” – Michael Garber (Oxfordshire Association)
- The Counties and the Big Society – Rupert Barnes (ABC Vice-Chairman)
- Latest County Flag Registrations and Developments – Various speakers
- Latest road-sign successes – Various speakers