The Hampshire county flag was conceived in 2008 by Jason Saber who substituted the highly restricted royal crown used by the county council with a Saxon style crown to recall Hampshire’s history as the home of Alfred the Great’s capital, Winchester. The form of rose was revised by Brady Ells in 2017. The design flag retains the rose and crown pattern used in the county for several centuries in various guises.
In the Great Hall in Winchester a round mediaeval table is positioned on a wall
bearing a Tudor rose and in 1895 Hampshire County Council (HCC) adopted the recognised county badge of combined rose and crown symbol as a heraldic badge (similar to a company logo)
although without legal sanction, before it received a formal grant of arms in 1992